Film & TV
Now Reading
Local Tamil Film ‘Jagat’ Costs “Roughly RM300,000”, Tells Tale of 90’s Indian Community
1690 8

by Keanu AzmanDecember 5, 2015

BMW Shorties alumni Shanjhey Kumar Perumal premiered his upcoming film Jagat (tamil slang for the word “jahat”) to members of the press yesterday,  3 December 2015 at Golden Screen Cinemas, Nu Sentral. Also in attendance were actors Harvin Raj and Marup Mustapah and composer Kamal Sabran.

As previously reported in November, Jagat centers on the relationship of bright but mischievous 12-year old boy Appoy (Harvin Raj) and his relationships with they key men of his life: his father, Maniam (Kuben Mahadevan), and his uncles, Dorai (Jibrail Rajhula), a local gangster, and Bala (Senthil Kumaran Muniandy), an ex drug addict. Appoy’s story is set against Malaysia in the nineties, when local Indians were forced to move to the city after being abandoned by their estate owners.

Appoy’s life as a school-going child is a miserable one, due to his strict upbringing. His father restricts him from watching television — if Appoy went against this rule, he would be hit as punishment. Appoy is also expected to do well in school. However, growing up witnessing his gangster uncles conduct their trade slowly transforms him.

Post-screening, Shanjhey explained that among the many things he wanted to do with Jagat was to portray the spread of gangster culture among Malaysian Indians. His depiction of thugs however is quite diverse — antagonist Da Gou for example may be a big shot, but has his own version of justice and will commit violent acts only when “absolutely necessary”.

Cinematically, Jagat achieves a lot with it’s miniscule budget. The film cost roughly RM300,000 to produce, with an addition RM300,000 going towards marketing.

“The toughest part was probably getting funds,” Shanjhey stated, “never an easy process considering this is a Tamil film made in Malaysia. RM300,000 is a really tight budget to create a mainstream film in this country,” he added.

Actor Harvin Raj meanwhile claimed that his acting debut was a great experience, and he particularly enjoyed some choreographed fight scenes. He also looks forward to doing more screen work in the future.

A Skyzen Studios production, Jagat hits cinemas nationwide on 17 December.

About The Author
Profile photo of Keanu Azman
Keanu Azman
Ryan Seacrest by day. Elvis Presley by night. Keanu Azman is an intern at The Daily Seni.
8 Comments
  • July 17, 2016 at 6:04 am

I actually found this more enrtntainieg than James Joyce.

• July 20, 2016 at 10:25 pm

wonderful points altogether, you simply gained a new reader.What may you suggest about your submit that you just made somedays ago? Any sure?

• July 22, 2016 at 1:58 am

Most bizarre parenting advice I was ever given: Don't kiss your baby's cheeks, it will give them acne. TOTAL HORSESHIT. Best parenting advice I wish I had gotten: trust your instincts, YOU DO know what is best for you and your baby. xo

• October 12, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Love is everywhere | Love affirmations I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You’re incredible! Thanks! your article about Love is everywhere | Love affirmationsBest Regards Lisa

• October 23, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Hi Brent, I appreciate this fine painting and the example of “fracturing” which I am trying to pick up on. It “aint” easy to be sloppy and depict an accurate image at the same time… it takes talent. I continue to study your work among others and hope I can get someting right before I am too old to paint. Have a good day!

• November 24, 2016 at 11:47 pm

“It’s more like I was being selfless—that I would risk everything to express what I felt was the truth.”Does anyone else think that it’s strangely brilliant the contrast here between profundity and narcissism? The guy must be a genius, because there’s no normal person who can manage to pull something twistedly introspective out of an ego trip.Â

• December 30, 2016 at 5:50 pm

This is a wonderful book, in my opinion the best Realms novel ever written – although Elfsong follows close behind. If you never read it, don’t miss the oportunity to know this story, a brilliant tale filled with a rich background and characters so alive that you will not want to stop reading until the very end of the book!

• February 9, 2017 at 12:05 am

chez moi, le résultat est plus brioche que pain au lait, et c'est la plus belle que j'ai jamais réussie, elle a fait l'unanimité et j'en ai refait une avec des pépites de chocolat et du sucre en grains sur le dessus, super ! ce sera "ma recette" de brioche, inutile d'en tester d'autresMary

Leave a Response