Film & TV
Now Reading
Why Is Everybody Hating On Shan From Klang?
deadpool-movie-poster-2016
8811 19

Why Is Everybody Hating On Shan From Klang?

by Deric EctFebruary 13, 2016

POPULAR on Facebook right now is a snapshot from yesterday’s copy of The Star‘s opinions segment.

Calling for an “immediate ban”, a reader simply identifying himself as Shan from Klang took issue with the foul language in Marvel‘s Deadpool.

12715546_10154545369094638_1225232400213337215_n

No, Shan. Just no. Image via Maxwell Majalang.

Shan’s opinion warranted a lot of online backlash, as evident in the thousands of combined shares, likes and comments on the newspaper clipping.

Initially put up for public view by user James Ho Thursday afternoon, the post has since collected a wide variety of very angry comments across its many shares.

Netizens were outraged with Shan’s attitude, given that Deadpool is an 18-rated film.  Many instantly took issue with his request for the film to be censored even further.

shanfromklang

Not shown here are the several hundreds who took the opportunity to respond with “fuck you”.

Some were also upset with The Star’s decision to publish an opinion like Shan’s — one reader went as far as to accuse the daily of exhibiting “poor journalism”. There were also those who simply had fun, using the occasion to swear profusely like the titular superhero.

The entire debacle also prompted a response from “Deadpool himself”, which has been circulating on social media. It is unclear where the message originated, but it has since been shared by various users responding to Shan.

12742262_754818691315234_7667912366205956047_n

Deadpool chooses not to cuss for once.

Deadpool has been long-anticipated as one of Marvel’s more enigmatic additions to its superhero universe. Its protagonist is primarily known for his sassy personality and foul-mouthed nature.

However, the film’s 18 rating has been repeatedly ignored by parents with young children, creating an issue at cinemas nationwide.

Malaysians are among the first in the world to watch Deadpool. The film opened wide locally on Thursday, a day ahead of its domestic release.

What do you think?

Should the Lembaga Penapisan Filem work harder?

YES! CAN WE PLEASE BAN THE “F WORD” ALREADY?!?!
Leave the LPF alone! They’re doing fine as is.
Not at all, they should tone down a bit as they’ve gone kinda mental lately.
NOBODY SHOULD DICTATE WHAT I CAN OR CANNOT SEE AS AN ADULT!

Poll Maker

Read more about the film in our previous postings! *This article was previously titled “Everybody Hates Shan From Klang” but it has since been altered (9:50pm | 13/2) to better reflect its purpose.

About The Author
Profile photo of Deric Ect
Deric Ect
Deric is contributor and former managing editor of The Daily Seni.
19 Comments
  • Katie
    February 13, 2016 at 2:39 pm

This demonstrates cyberbullying and mob mentality at its ugliest. What the original poster did was open the floodgates to tons of abuse and profanities (much worse than the ones in the movie, mind you) being hurled by these “netizens” towards a single person just because he/she had a different opinion than the rest; not an unpopular opinion about corruption in the government or the rising cost of living, but A MOVIE. He/she is certainly entitled to his/her opinion of the film, however unpopular it may be, but that doesn’t justify the abuse and backlash unleashed towards him/her. Is this a good example of how Malaysian internet users are mature enough to regulate themselves? I think not.

• Rod
    February 13, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Ya, totally agree. The guy who make the original post should at least have the decency to take it down and apologies when the cursing and sweaeing in the comments and shares got worst, but instead of doing that, he let it be. Probably keeping count of the likes, comments and shares he was getting. At least that Peter Cheng fler from the KLCC parking thing apologize.

• Ryan
    February 13, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Katie is true what you say. But why people are angry is because is because in Malaysia went some one voice something the government might ban or stop the movie and Etc. Give you example a concert last year a concert was just because somebody complain even before the concert even started. People bought ticket, book hotel and Etc. A lot of people whether fan or not has been waiting for this movie and we lucky LPF allow this movie with minimum censorship and etc. China totally ban the movie instead of censorship. True that people have their opinion but went a movie is rated 18+ u expect that is violent, foul language and etc. The LPF might censor and might not censor all the violent, foul language n etc. If you know is 18+ you should be mature enough to handale the movie if not skip the movie. Instead you watch the movie and complain like a baby or child.

• saitama
    February 13, 2016 at 3:10 pm

James Ho retis yo!

• JakeP
    February 13, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Retis at other people expense. He should be very ashamed of himself.

• Syamsul
    February 13, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Katie,
    I guess you must be shan’s friend. We are not bullying. We just protest.

• James
    February 13, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Hi Katie, Rod and Jake. I am the guy with the original post (post only, not image. That was by someone else) and I have read each of your comments and I thank you for your opinions. I’ll just keep it as short as possible so as it won’t get too draggy.

For me, I posted it on my FB page because I felt this Shan should have done his or her homework prior to watching it, and also not to spoil the fun for others who didn’t mind the expletives. However, I didn’t anticipate it would be so viral with so many sharing it and some opportunists using it to exercise their vulgar rights as well. Your opinions are as valid as mine and I choose to stand by my original intentions, no matter how you may all see it. Afterall, if I were to delete it just because of some differing opinions, then am I not being a hypocrite and someone without integrity? Perhaps you all should be more concerned with those who are asking Shan to go away in a less nicer manner than me.

I welcome any civilized feedback and opinions.

• Katie
    February 13, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Funny how he now welcomes civilized opinions when he allowed his commentators to curse and swear and use abusive language on his original FB post without even bothering to moderate them or advise them against using such uncivilized language.

• James
    February 14, 2016 at 1:02 am

Funny how you think just because other people choose to exercise their freedom of speech in any way, that you pinpoint me as the one who should be responsible for how they should act or carry themselves. So should I tell you what to do and not to write or reply to me? I’m not their mothers mind you and I don’t run a page where I am justified to ban or delete their comments. We’re not living in a Communist country. In case you missed the whole point, I didn’t even start my post with a single, “F*ck you Shan” thing. My expression is that you should have the responsibility of doing your homework before watching the movie, and if you don’t like it, please don’t go and call for a ban because other people want to enjoy it. Now that IS my original opinion, hope that makes sense to you.

• Katie
    February 14, 2016 at 1:28 am

So if people start hurling profanities in the comment section of MY post on MY Facebook page, I should just let it be as they are entitled to “exercise their freedom of speech” issit? Bravo to you! Lets hope someday you won’t be at the end of the same kind of verbal abuse, all in the name of “freedom of expression”. Enjoy your new found “retis” reputation while it lasts.

• James
    February 14, 2016 at 1:47 am

I knew you would come to that conclusion. Anyway, depending on how you look at it whether you still want to meet halfway and agree to disagree on this issue, I’m sticking to my guns. I have seen the Peter Cheng post, and he did apologise for it in which the issue then died down. If I should find myself creating a major boo-boo of my own doing in the future, I would certainly apologise for it. You don’t know me that well yet to judge me from a single post. Peace out even if you feel otherwise.

BTW, that retis thing wasn’t my idea as well. It was done by them, this article and people giving me this title. Please don’t shoot the messenger when you should be targeting your anger at the others.

• Brandon
    February 14, 2016 at 2:36 am

Malaysia is a country very well-known for banning movies/concerts or whatever that SEEMS even slightly unnerving to whoever is in charge, which is why the fans who have been eagerly awaiting this movie know that a comment like the one made by Shan from Klang could very well mean the removal of this movie in cinemas if more were to chime in on his/her remark. Whereas, Shan could just NOT watch the movie without ruining the experience of plenty of others who find entertainment and joy in it.

Its the same as Malaysia banning pork because Muslims can’t eat it or beef because Hindhus can’t eat it. Just because you can’t have something, doesn’t mean you need to take it away from others who can.

Like James said, it was completely his/her own fault for not doing their own research and going to watch the movie blindly. On the posters, in the trailers, on the freaking ticket stub, there will be a very obvious “18+” stamped there. Shan’s sentence should have went somewhere along the lines of “I watched the movie ‘Deadpool’ but didn’t realize it was going to be so vulgar. Parents, don’t bring your children to watch it!” He IS entitled to his/her own opinion of the movie. HOWEVER, this individual took it too far when he/she said “Can’t the ‘F’ word be muted? If not ban the movie immediately.”

And c’mon. It’s the internet. People express their feelings here, especially towards something like this. Don’t be naive and whine about “cyberbullying” and whatnot. Grow up.

• Johnny
    February 14, 2016 at 3:13 am

Katie, u can do wbatever u want on YOUR facebook page and/or YOUR post, just like James can do whatever he wants on HIS. You mention stuff about letting Shan voicing his/her opinion, but you are not willing to let James and others voicing out their opinions. I find that to be a bit hypocritical. Civilized or not, it’s their opinions and they are entitled to them.

• Innominipatri
    February 14, 2016 at 3:31 am

Mary Surratt owned a boarding house and she allowed it to be used by John Wilkes Booth and his co-conspirators to plan their assassination of Abraham Lincoln. She didn’t participate in the planning nor did she take part in the actual assassination; she just let them use her house knowing full well what they were going to do. She was arrested along with the others and during her trial, she pleaded innocent on the basis she did not partake in the planning. But the court called her out as an enabler and found her guilty of aiding and abetting the murder of Lincoln. In the end, she was hanged.

• Wong
    February 14, 2016 at 8:29 am

— THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN REMOVED BY THE DAILY SENI FOR ABUSIVE CONTENT —

• Ralan
    February 14, 2016 at 8:50 am

Honestly I just think shan is an attention seeker.. Looks like he got what he wanted

• Profile photo of Deric Ect
    February 14, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Thank you all who’ve responded to this post, this gives us a better picture of the sort of concerns that crop up on the minds of our readers.

We do not believe James Ho’s posting was an example of cyberbullying — it was a posting on a public arena to scope out opinions from others.

This subject in particular was brought to our attention because it involves a mainstream daily like The Star. I refuse to believe Shan’s opinion is representative of the rest of Malaysia, nor should it have appeared on the “nation’s #1 newspaper” without a rebuttal or counter-argument.

Last thing we want is for our lawmakers and authorities to use this as a barometer of our society’s tolerance towards profanity.

Please refer to Brandon’s comment to get a better picture of the situation and understand the sort of fear that keeps us on edge when we perceive our entertainment as “under threat”. Results from the poll should tell you the rest.

Leave a Response